A graphic designer is a professional within the graphic design and graphic arts industry that assembles images, typography, or motion graphics together to create a piece of design. A graphic designer creates the graphics primarily for published, printed or electronic media, such as brochures (sometimes) and advertising. They are also sometimes responsible for typesetting, illustration, user interfaces, web design, or taking a teaching position. A core responsibility of the designer’s job is to present information in a way that is both accessible and memorable.
Many different graphic designers have specialties in both the digital and print spheres. However, some of the most common responsibilities of a graphic designer include:
- Creating visual concepts, using computer software or by hand, to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate consumers
- Developing originality and creativity in designs
- Thinking up new ways to approach a design project and coming up with innovative solutions to problems
- Working with clients to understand their needs and develop concepts that meet their objectives
- Reviewing final layouts and suggesting improvements when necessary
- Liaising with printers or other service providers to ensure that designs are executed effectively
- Keeping abreast of current trends in design, technology, and software
- Attending trade shows and conferences to stay up-to-date on industry news and developments
Jobs for Graphic Designers
Jobs for Graphic Designers are expected to grow by 7% from 2018 to 2028. In May 2018, the median annual salary for Graphic Designers was $50,370. The best-paid 25 percent made $70,510 that year, while the lowest-paid 25 percent made $36,390.
What industries do Graphic Designers work in
Graphic designers can work in many industries, and often times they find themselves working in multiple industries throughout their careers. However, some of the most common industries that graphic designers work in include:
- Web design
- Design firms
- In-house design departments
What do you need to become a graphic designer?
Graphic Designers usually need a bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field. Also, employers usually seek out candidates with experience in using graphic design software programs, such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. Furthermore, Graphic Designers must be able to stay up-to-date on new and emerging computer graphic design software programs and technologies.
Finally, Graphic Designers must effectively communicate with clients, coworkers, and other stakeholders to ensure that the final product meets their needs.
What are some skills you need to be a graphic designer?
To be a successful graphic designer, you must have a strong understanding of colour theory, typography, and composition. Additionally, you must be proficient in graphic design software programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. Furthermore, communicating effectively with clients and other stakeholders is essential to ensure that the final product meets their needs.
Graphic Design can also now be generated by AI
In recent years, artificial intelligence (AI) has increasingly influenced Graphic Design. AI-generated designs are often created by algorithms that learn from and mimic the styles of human designers. This new technology is changing the landscape of graphic design, and many believe that AI will eventually replace human designers altogether.
However, some experts argue that AI will simply augment the work of human designers rather than replace them entirely. Only time will tell how this new technology will impact the field of Graphic Design.